Barry Jay Epstein, Ph.D., C.P.A.
Partner – RNCO Financial Litigation Advisors
Russell Novak & Company, LLP
225 West Illinois Street
Chicago, Illinois 60610
(312) 222 1400
PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE SPECIALTIES:
- Expert witness and consultant in commercial disputes, particularly those involving issues of application of accounting principles (GAAP), auditing standards and practices (GAAS) and financial analysis
- Forensic accounting and fraud auditing
- Consultation to corporate management and directors regarding corporate governance, particularly with regard to financial reporting and oversight of the independent auditors
- Accountants’ malpractice consultation and expert witness assignments
- Consultation on application of international accounting and financial reporting (IFRS)
University of Pittsburgh
Ph.D. - 1979
Information Systems, Finance, and Statistical Decision Theory
University of Chicago
M.B.A. - 1969
Accounting, Economics and Behavioral Sciences
DePaul University - with high honors
B.S.C. - 1967
Accounting and Finance
C.P.A., Illinois, 1967 - winner of national and state honors
- Illinois CPA Society (former chairman, Accounting Principles Committee)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (former member, Board of
- Examiners, and chair of the Auditing Subcommittee of the Board)
- American Accounting Association, International Section
- American Mensa, Ltd.
- Lead co-author, Wiley GAAP: Interpretation and Application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (revised annual editions beginning in 1985; John Wiley & Sons, Inc.).
- Author, Handbook of Accounting and Auditing, (semi-annual updates beginning in 1998; Warren, Gorham & Lamont, a division of Research Institute of America).
- Lead co-author, Wiley IFRS: Interpretation and Application of International
- Accounting Standards (annual editions from 1997; John Wiley & Sons, Inc.).
- Co-author, “Goodwill and Other Intangible Assets,” (Ch. 20, Accountants’ Handbook, Tenth Edition 2006 Cumulative Supplement, D. R. Carmichael, editor; John Wiley & Sons, Inc.).
- Earlier publications included authorship and co-authorship of other books and authorship of professional journal articles.